- B.S. in Marine Biology (1996) - University of North Carolina, Wilmington.
- Ph.D. in Marine Science (2003) - University of South Florida.
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (2003- 2005) - University of Delaware, Delaware Biotechnology Institute.
- Director of Environmental Virology - J. Craig Venter Institute (2005-2011). Led studies of viruses inhabiting aquatic surface waters, deep-sea volcanoes, terrestrial soils, our atmosphere and the human body. Authored and co-authored 35 peer-reviewed articles published in scientific journals. Authored three graduate-level text book chapters on microbial ecology.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor at UCSD - Scripps Institution of Oceanography (2008-2011). Mentored graduate students and guest lectured on viral/bacterial genomics.
- Executive Director of Lake Pend Oreille Waterkeeper (2011-present). Working to protect Idaho's largest lake and its associated water bodies so that they remain swimmable, fishable and drinkable.
- City Council President - A council member as of 2014 and City Council President as of 2016.